zaterdag 13 april 2013

Getting started

This is basically going to be a big photodump of my progress so far.

Two weeks ago I started with buying some basic necessities and some strawberry plants. They looked like this, then:

Still inside because of the cold.
They were doing very well in my bathroom window sill, where I never have the heating on so it wasn't too warm for them. I don't want them to get too used to warm temperatures here in Holland! This afternoon I put them outside, because the weather is getting nicer, finally.
Outside in the sun!
They have grown quite a bit! And they have a lot more flowers than before. I'm so proud of my babies! I put two plants in a crate that used to have beer in it.
More strawberry plants. Look at the flowers!
Last week I also put some seeds in containers, some for tea herbs and some for flowers that bees are attracted to, like corn daisies, phacelia, Indian cress, mallow and limnanthes aka poached egg plant. Last week they looked like this: 
Seeds in their container
A week has gone by, and now they look like this: 

I think this is mallow.

And like this:
Poached egg plant
I was so proud of myself for figuring out the phacelia is a plant that only sprouts in the dark (you can see it in the corner of the mallow pic and behind the poached egg plant). I put a lid on the container and it's doing really well right now! The Indian cress took the longest to sprout, but it's slowly coming. Now I'm worried about how I'm going to get them in their own pots when they're big enough, some of them don't like being moved. But we'll cross that bridge when we get there. 

And lastly, I went out today and bought some flowers to brighten up the terrace. It looks so nice now:

With my dog Cash (after Johnny, of course) in the middle picture, and our jungle cat Sam in the first one. I love all my terrible pots, like the one with the donkey and the tea pot that I put my chives in. I always look for the weird ones, I love that I have this assorted mix of pots. The donkey one has special meaning to me because I used to be a volunteer at a donkey sanctuary, but now this is the only donkey I take care of.

As long as my vegetables can't go outside yet, I think my terrace looks pretty good with just all these flowers!

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten